Howard's Sermons and Article Clippings.

Howard's Sermons and Article Clippings.

About Me

My photo
Im a Mainline protestant minister who loves serving in multicultural and urban contexts. I'm very interested in how liberation theology and existential-humanistic psychology are applied to the praxis of pastoral care and counseling. My most profound encounters with God come as we sojourn as brothers and sisters seeking the inbreaking of God's reign, here and now.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Howard's Christmas Letter

Happy Holidays !

After three years of urban ministry in Los Angeles, I’m back in the Twin Cities. I accepted a call to serve as the interim pastor at Arlington Hills Presbyterian Church in St Paul.

www.arlingtonhillspresbyterian.org

I feel right at home here with a multicultural church. Folks here have a heart for outreach in their diverse community. The eastside of St Paul has been an Ellis Island for the Midwest for many decades. We are proclaiming Kingdom of God with our new brothers and sisters who join us from many lands.
I made the long drive east after completing the first residential component of the Doctorate of Ministry program at San Francisco Theological Seminary. My dissertation project will explore how clergy can collaborate with local law enforcement in LA and St Paul so victims of violence can receive timely and effective pastoral care. My work in LA made it abundantly clear that far too many grieving and traumatized families were not receiving adequate emotional and spiritual care. The tears and sobs of grieving mothers have been seared into my heart.
The vigils for peace continue. We have hosted a of couple candle light vigils here in St Paul. Last summer, just three weeks into my new call, Tammie, a cancer patient, was attacked by three Asian gang members wielding bats. This was just a few blocks from our church. This outraged and grieved the community. With short notice, and much needed assistance from the St Paul police, a hundred of us gathered at the site of the attack to pray for Tammie’s healing. Our prayers, songs and candles push back the darkness of violence with the light of love.
Praise God, Tammie has recovered from her injuries and her cancer has stabilized for the first time since she was diagnosed. If you google (Lake Phalen and Tammie) you can see her amazing testimony on Fox 9 and Kare 11. She joined Mayor Coleman to flip the switch for the Holiday Lights in Lake Phalen.
I have brought the tradition of Lessons and Carols that I cherished so much at San Francisco Theological seminary to Arlington Hills. Several local church choirs and Eastside pastors will join us to help transform this British tradition into a multicultural celebration of our coming Prince of Peace. We are honoured that Tammie will be one of our readers. She is a poignant testimony that out of tragedy comes hope!
Another highlight this year was going to Haiti for the Haiti Mission Connection conference. Paul Farmer’s Partners in Health is an inspiration for many of us. Their healthcare model sets the template for our church partners. Haiti is the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. At times, I felt like I was back in Africa. I was surprised that the burden of poverty and political instability was more evident in the Haitian peoples eyes’ than my experiences in Eastern and Southern Africa.
After seeing many depressing houses, I will finally close on my new home next week. It’s a cozy three bedroom home just off of Payne Ave, the heart of the Eastside of St Paul. You all know me, I’m an urban dweller. Several shops and restaurants are within walking distance. It’s a reality check that this house is nearly a tenth of what the average house is going for in LA. Surely, having a house will enhance my eligible bachelor credentials.
Don’t worry folks I’m putting myself out there to see what the universe presents. I’m easing up on the speed dating though. It’s a real conversation stopper. “So what do you do?” When I was seminary, a group of us would go into the city for Karokee. We had rehearsed our answer to this question. “Well, I am a theological anthropologist.” The glazed over look bought us time to move on to another subject. In time she will know, but those first impressions and preconceptions really narrows the romance pool. Now that we have President-elect Obama, maybe I should just say I’m a community organizer!
After three mild LA winters, my veins are still thickening. I keep telling myself, “ It’s cold outside but warm in our hearts.” When I am not running on the hamster wheel, I steal away to the Fitzgerald to enjoy live recordings of Prairie Home Companion. I was thrilled that my shout outs were shared with my fellow SFTS alums and comrades in the First Cav. Division. I miss having an abundance of independent theatres. Part of my Sabbath is going to the movies once a week. The best movie I have seen this year was Changeling. Of course, I am biased because its showcases a prophetic Presbyterian pastor taking on the powers that be and keeping them honest.
I am so relieved that we have a new year upon us that promises to bring change and a greater possibility for peace and reconciliation. I’m looking forward to seeing my chosen families in LA (late Feb) and Bay Area (June). Hey, maybe we can have a Karaoke party. Remember, I’m a community organizer specializing in theological anthropology.

Sending psychic hugs and prayers for peace, Howard

653 Jessamine Ave St Paul, MN (612) 702-3151 hr_dotson@yahoo.com

No comments: